Monday, June 29, 2009

Two MORE weeks 'til completion...

So maybe I was a little too optimistic with my last post thinking that I might be able to get my Jeep done by the end of June. The wiring turned out to be harder than I expected and I spent a good two weeks getting everything hooked up correctly. But the good news is that I am pretty much done with the wiring and I have succeeded in getting the engine to both turn over and start!



A co-worker (who happens to be an Electrical Engineer) came by on Wednesday and took a look at my wiring and helped me figure out some of the things that were missing or incorrect. Apparently between 1992 and 1993 Jeep decided to move the wire that runs from the ignition switch to the starter relay, which I didn't realize. Eventually I tracked both wires down and was able to get them connected. I also didn't have the wiring grounded well enough, and without grounds there is no where for the current to go and hence there is no power in the circuit.

So on Friday evening, after moving some wires and adding some grounds, I was finally able to get my starter to run and turn my engine over, which was a great feeling. On Saturday I repositioned one of my ground wires from the engine to the firewall (I had two engine grounds from my battery but no body ground) and this gave me power to all my dash electronics, my windshield wipers, blinkers, etc. Before I finished work on Saturday I sprayed some starter fluid into the throttle body, turned the key, and was able to get the engine to fire up. It died after a few seconds (once the starter fluid burned up), but hearing the engine run was awesome and gives me a lot of hope.

Some of the other things I got done this weekend include:

- Reinstalled my newly adjusted & balanced drive shafts (the adjustments were $$$!)




- Painted and installed the brake booster and installed the master cylinder


- Installed the gas pedal and gear shifter (for my test drive)


- Installed the grill


- Removed the radiator from the grill (for a professional radiator flush today)

- Semi-installed the exhaust down pipe (still needs to be bolted in)


I am very close to having the Jeep drivable. I found a new fuel rail on eBay this weekend and purchased it; when I receive it I will install it and lengthen my fuel lines. I also need to get the wiring for my fuel pump hooked up. Then I need to bleed my brakes, install the driver's seat, and take it for a spin!

Dave and I spent a bunch of time on Saturday reorganizing his garage; we moved a lot of stuff out and brought it down to his barn/other garage. There is now a LOT more work space and it is much more organized and very clean.



No comments:

Post a Comment